Kodiveri Dam – Gobichettipalayam
One of the largest dams of Tamil Nadu, the Kodiveri Dam is constructed on Bhavani River near Gobichettipalayam. It is a common picnic spot located near Sathyamangalam in Erode District. The famous Bannari Mariamman Temple is around 20 kilometres from the Kodiveri Dam.
History of Kodiveri Dam
It is believed that the Kodiveri Dam was built over the Bhavani River when a drought had hit the area in the earlier past. It was constructed by Kongalvan in the year 1125 AD. The dam has been created by carving a 20-foot wall of rock, wherein the stones were interlocked with iron bars and the lead was used as mortar.
The Dam then on has been a major source of irrigation in the area.
Technical Details of the Dam
The Kodiveri Dam built using iron bars and lead provides a sound and long-lasting irrigational support to the areas around. The Dam built on Bhavani River gives rise to two channels – Arakkankottai on the northern side and Thadapalli on the southern side of Bhavani River. The Dam irrigates a total area of 24,504 acres. The Thadapalli Channel helps in the irrigation of lands north of Gobichettipalayam. Sugarcane and paddy are predominantly cultivated in this area.
Other notable features of Kodiveri Dam
- The Dam has a beautiful Park at its bottom that adds to the attraction of the place.
- The Falls are not very heavy and one can easily reach to the bottom of the falls and enjoy bathing and swimming.
- The Entry Fee is a meager amount of Rs. 4 per head.
- The place is also ideal to taste some of the fresh fishes caught by the coracle rowers.
- Boating is also available for the entertainment of tourists.
- Recent steps taken by the Government (improvement in infrastructure of the Dam, better recreational and restroom facilities) have made the place more approachable for the tourists.
How to reach Kodiveri Dam
The Dam is situated along the State Highway 15 about 15 kilometres from Gobichettipalayam towards Sathyamangalam. The nearest railway station is at Erode (38 kilometres). Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport (74 kilometres).