Bhavani Sagar Dam, Erode
Lower Bhavani Dam also called the Bhavani Sagar Dam is one of the world’s largest earthen dams (type of dam made of compacted earth). It is located around 16 kilometres west of Sathyamangalam, in Erode district, Tamil Nadu. It is built on Bhavani River which is a major tributary of the Kaveri River. The dam creates Bhavanisagar Reservoir.
Image Attribution : Pratheept2000
History of Bhavani Sagar Dam:
It is the second largest dam in Tamil Nadu after Mettur Dam. It was one of the first major irrigation project initiated in India after independence in 1948. The Dam construction was completed in the year 1955 and was fully operational since 1956. The dam was constructed at a cost of 21 million.
Descriptive features of Bhavani Sagar Dam
|Length of the dam||8 kilometres|
|Height of the foundation||40 metres or 130 ft.|
|Height of the thalweg||37 metres or 120 ft.|
|Total capacity of Reservoir||32.8×109 cu ft.|
|Installed capacity of Reservoir||32 MW or 43,000 hp|
- The dam is fed water by the Southwest and Northeast monsoons. It receives water from two catchment areas in the Western Ghats. The Eastern catchment area includes the Upper Bhavani, Avalanche and Emerald Lakes, Kundha, Gedhai, Pillur, Nellithurai and Lower Bhavani. The Western catchment area includes Portimund, Parson’s Valley, Pykara, Glenmorgan, Chinkara, Maravakandy, Moyar, Thengumarahatta and Lower Bhavani.
- The dam supplies water to two canals: (a) Kalingarayan Canal which in turn feeds Arakkankottai and Thadampalli channels (b) Lower Bhavani Project
- The dam had two hydroelectric power stations, one on the east bank canal and the other on the Bhavani River. East power station has a capacity of 8 megawatts totaling to a capacity of 16,000 megawatts .
- There is a peaceful garden in front of the dam with a play area for children, a small boating ride and a basic eatery spot. The entry to the park is charged at Rs. 5 per head.
- The view atop the dam is restricted now due to safety reasons. The place is a quiet getaway from the bustle of city life. One could also prefer to get the fresh fishes from the dam.
- Bhavani Sagar Dam is open on all days from 9:00 AM to 6:30 PM.
How to reach Bhavani Sagar Dam
Bhavani Sagar Dam is located at 16 kilometres west to Sathyamangalam, 35 kilometres from Gobichettipalayam and 36 kilometres north-east to Mettupalayam. The distance to Coimbatore is around 80 kilometres which is the nearest Airport.