APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial – Rameswaram
Overview of Abdul Kalam Memorial
One of the most popular tourist attractions in the temple city of Rameswaram is the memorial of India’s renowned scientist, great leader and former President, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam.
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam National Memorial was inaugurated by Prime Minister of India Mr. Narendra Modi on 27th July, 2017.
The APJ Abdul Kalam Memorial Memorial is spread over 2.11 acres of land and has been constructed on the gravesite of Dr. Kalam where his mortal remains were laid to rest on July 27th, 2015. With an investment of Rs. 20 crore, the construction of the Memorial was completed in just 9 months.
More about the Abdul Kalam Memorial
- An Initiative of DRDO: The initiative to construct a memorial for Dr. Kalam was taken by The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), with which Dr. Kalam was associated for several years of his life.
- Symbol of National Integration: The Memorial is a symbol of India’s diversity and national integration, something that Dr. Kalam had always admired. The entrance to the monument depicts the India Gate with its door resembling the entrance door of the Brihadeeswara Temple in Thanjavur. The main dome of the building depicts the Rashtrapati Bhavan. The monument is a fine blend of Mughal and Indian architecture. The construction materials, plants and flowers for the garden etc were sourced from different parts of the country.
- The Memorial’s Inside: The Memorial reflects the teachings and beliefs of Dr. Kalam. The interior of the Memorial encompasses four halls that reflect the various facets of Dr. Kalam’s life. Information about Pokhran nuclear test, replicas of rockets and missiles have been displayed to celebrate the priceless contribution of the late ace scientist to space science.
- Statue of the Missile Man of India: Another primal attraction of the Memorial is the life-size statue of Dr. Kalam that was inaugurated in 2016. This statue of Dr. Kalam playing the musical instrument Veena is placed in the center of the memorial. There are two other silicon statues of Dr. Kalam, in the presidential suit, in sitting and standing postures.
- The Garden: The garden around the Memorial has a resemblance of the Mughal gardens. Plants for the garden were bought from different states and flowers were handpicked keeping in mind the likes of Dr. Kalam. A model of the Agni missile has been placed in the garden, at the backyard of the Memorial.
Abdul Kalam Memorial Opening Timings:
The Memorial is open in the morning from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM and from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
How to reach Abdul Kalam Memorial
The memorial is less than 3.5-kilometers distance from Rameswaram Busstand. Rameswaram is well connected by road and rail with Chennai, Madurai, Coimbatore, Trichy and other important cities. The nearest airport is at Madurai, 163 kilometres from Rameswaram.
Tourist Attractions near Abdul Kalam Memorial:
- Pamban Bridge
- Kunthukal Beach – Rameswaram
- Ramanathaswamy Temple, Rameswaram
- Agni Theertham Beach
Any content change in this Article?