The administrative headquarters of the district is located at Virudhunagar town.
The major industries found in the district are match industry, fireworks, offset printing presses in Sivakasi and ginning factories, spinning mills, power loom and handloom industries in Rajapalayam.
Tourist Attractions in Virudhunagar District
- Srivilliputhur Andal Temple
- Irukkankudi Mariamman Temple, Sattur
- Srinivasa Perumal Koil (Thentirupathi), Srivilliputhur
- Boominathar Temple, Thiruchuli
- Meenakshi Sundareswarar Temple, Aruppukottai
- Kamarajar Memorial House, Virudhunagar
- Pilavakkal Dam, Watrap
- Ayyanar Falls, 10 kilometres west of Rajapalayam
- Shenbagathoppu, Alagarkoil near Srivilliputhur
- Sastha Koil, near Thevathanam in Rajapalayam
- Sathuragiri Hills, 10 kilometres from Watrap near Srivilliputhur
How to reach Virudhunagar
Road – The district is well connected with other major cities in the state by road. State buses ply to Virudhunagar on a regular basis. Virudhunagar is situated at 48 kilometres from Madurai at National Highways NH7, 108 Kilometres from Tirunelveli at National Highways NH7 and 46 Kilometres from Rajapalayam at State Highways.
Rail – Virudhunagar has its own railway station which comes under Madurai Railway Division and connects the place with other major cities of the state (Madurai – 43 kilometres, Tirunelveli – 114 kilometres, Rajapalayam – 52 kilometres and Manamadurai – 66 kilometres)
Air – The nearest airport is Madurai International Airport at a distance of 46 kilometres.