Vaigai Dam is built across the Vaigai River near Andipatti, in Theni district. The Dam caters to the irrigational needs of Madurai and Dindigul district and is a source of drinking water to Madurai and Andipatti.
The Dam was inaugurated on 21st January 1959 by the then Tamil Nadu chief minister Mr. K. Kamaraj. Vaigai Dam is maintained by Water Resource Department which in turn is managed by the Tamil Nadu Public Works Department. The Dam measures 111 feet in height and has a storage capacity of 6,143 mcft. The Vaigai Hydroelectric Power Plant and the Vaigai Agricultural Research Centre are located near the Dam.
The visiting hours for the dam are from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM on all days. The entry fee is charged at Rs. 10 per person.
This massive and wondrous dam being one of the main picnic spots in the district is illuminated every Sunday. A small park that has a children’s play area is maintained on both sides of the dam. A small bridge connects the two sides of the park in front of the dam. A musical dancing fountain functions between 6:00 AM and 8:00 PM on weekends and during government holidays. The serenity of the location can be best experienced along with the warm sunrises. Splendid view of hills and lush greenery bordering the river on the other side is a sight worth experiencing.
How to reach
The dam is located 7 kilometres from Andipatti, 14 kilometres from Theni and 70 kilometres from Madurai. The nearest railway station is at Bodinayakanur (around 32 kilometres away) and the nearest airport is at Madurai (80 kilometres away).