Thoothukudi District was carved out in the year 1986 after bifurcating Tirunelveli District. The city of Thoothukudi is the district headquarters.
The district is known for its pearl cultivation and salt production (constituting 70% of total salt produced in the state).
Major Tourist Attractions in Thoothukudi District
- Thiruchendur Murugan Temple, Thiruchendur
- Our Lady of Snows Basilica, Thoothukudi
- Holy Cross Church, Manapad
- Kulasekharapattinam Beach
- Harbour Beach, Thoothukudi
- Roche Park, Thoothukudi
- Pearl Beach, Thoothukudi
- Panchalankurichi, a small historic village 25 kilometres from Thoothukudi
- Arulmigu Sri Arunjunai kattha Ayyanar temple , Ammanpuram (Melaputhukkudi)
- Kayalpattinam Beach
- Samanar palli, Kalugumalai
- Hare Island, Thoothukudi
- Arulmigu Sudalaimadasamy (High Court Maharaja) Temple, Aarumugamangalam
- Arulmigu Sri Karkkuvel Ayyanar Temple, Therikudiruppu
How to reach Thoothukudi
Road – National Highways NH 7A connecting to Madurai Road and NH 45B connecting ECR Road pass through Thoothukudi. Apart from this, State Highways SH – 32, 33, 40, 44, 75, 76, 77, 93, 176 connect Thoothukudi District with other parts of the state.
Rail – Thoothukudi Railways Station comes under Southern Railway Division and connects the district with Chennai, Mysore Coimbatore and Tirunelveli.
Air – Thoothukudi Airport is located at Vagaikulam (14 kilometres from the city).