The district lies in the Cauvery delta region and agriculture is the main occupation. The predominant agriculture-based industries in Tiruvarur District are modern rice milling, palm oil refinery, poultry, live stock and coir based.
Tourist Attractions in Thiruvarur District
- Sri Thiyagarajar Swamy Temple, Thiruvarur
- Sri Saraswathi Temple, Koothanur
- Sri Murugan Temple, Enkan
- Sri Rajagopalaswamy Temple, Mannargudi
- Varatharajan Pettai Maha Mariamman Temple, Valangaiman
- Sri Kothandaramar Temple, Thillai Vilagam
- Apatsahayeswarar Temple or Guru Temple, Alangudi
- Sri Lalithambigai Temple, Thirumeiychur
- Sri Saneeshwaran Temple, Thirukollikadu
- Jambuvanodai Dharga, Muthupettai
- Vadavoor Birds Sanctuary
- Udayamarthandapuram Birds Sanctuary
- Muthupettai Mangrove Forest
- Muthupettai Dargah
How to reach Trichy Thiruvarur
Road – Thiruvarur is well connected by road with all major cities of Tamil Nadu. NH 45A to Villupuram and NH 67 to Coimbatore pass through Thiruvarur. State Highways SH 23, SH 67, SH 65, SH 66, SH 67, SH 146, SH 147 and SH 151 connects Thiruvarur with major towns of Tamil Nadu that includes Chennai, Tiruchirappalli, Coimbatore and Karaikal. Frequent government buses run connecting various cities to Thiruvarur.
Rail – Thanjavur Railway Junction is a four way junction connecting Mayiladuthurai in the north, Thiruthuraipoondi in the south, Nagapattinam in the east and Thanjavur in the west.
Air – The nearest airport to Thiruvarur is Tiruchirappalli International Airport (110 kilometres from the town.)