district headquarters. Thiruvallur District was originally called Tiru-evallur referring to the sleeping position of Lord Perumal in the Veeraragava Temple of Thiruvallur. Later it evolved to be known as Trivellore and Tiruvallur.
It is bounded by Vellore district in the west, Bay of Bengal in the east, Chennai district in the southeast, state of Andhra Pradesh in the north and Kanchipuram in the south. In terms of Industrial Development, Thiruvallur district is one of the fastest developing districts in Tamil Nadu.
Tourist Attractions in Thiruvalluvar District
- Pulicat Light House, Pulicat – 75 kilometres from Thiruvallur
- Poondi (Tiruvallur Taluk)
- Sri Viswaroopa Panchamukha Anjaneyaswami Temple, Thiruvallur
- Vadivudaiamman Udanurai Thygarajaswami Temple, Thiruvottriyur
- Bhavani Amman Temple, Periyapalayam
- Devi Kumariamman Temple, Thiruverkadu
- Arulmigu Subramaniya Swami Temple, Tiruttani
- Lord Veeraraghava Perumal Temple, Tiruvallu
How to reach Thiruvalluvar
Road – Thiruvallur District is well connected to all major cities. NH 16, NH 48 and NH 716 pass through the District boundary..
Rail – Thiruvallur Railway Station is the nearest rail head which is connected to many South parts of India.
Air – The nearest airport is Arignar Anna International/Kamarajar Domestic Airport at Tirusulam , Chennai (47 kilometres away)