The economy of the district relies mainly on agriculture. The main produce of the district are cotton, cardamom, garlic, grapes, mango and sugarcane. Cotton spinning and sugar mills are the major industries in the district.
Tourist Attractions in Theni
- Penny Cuick Memorial (Lower Camp, 8 kilometres from Gudalur)
- Megamalai Wildlife (57 kilometres from Theni)
- Veerapandi Gowmariamman Temple (8 kilometres from Theni)
- Vaigai Dam (25 kilometres from Theni)
- Manjalar Dam (35 kilometres from Theni)
- Suruli Falls (10 kilometres from Cumbum and 56KM from Theni)
- Kuchanoor Saneeswarar Temple (17KM from Theni)
- Meghamalai Chinna Suruli (Kombaithozhu Village, 54KM from Theni)
How to reach Theni
Road – Theni District is well connected by road to all major cities in Tamil Nadu. It is connected to Kumuli, Munnar, Madurai and Dindigul through national highways.
Rail – The nearest railways stations are at Madurai (70 kilometres away) and Dindugul (80 kilometres away).
Air – The nearest airport is at Madurai (87 kilometres away)