Soundararaja Perumal Temple – Nagapattinam
Noted one among the 108 Divya Desams dedicated to Lord Vishnu, is the beautiful Soundararaja Perumal Temple located in Nagapattinam. Lord Vishnu is worshipped in the temple as Soundararaja Perumal and his consort Lakshmi as Soundaravalli. The temple is administered and maintained by the Hindu Religious and Endowment Board of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
About Soundararaja Perumal Temple
The temple is constructed in the Dravidian style of architecture. The temple has been praised in the Divya Prabhandha, a collection of Tamil verses composed by the Alwar saints.
The temple is believed to have been built by the Medieval Cholas of the late 8th century AD. Later contributions were made to the temple by the Thanjavur Nayaks.
The beautiful temple tower is five-tiered and is enclosed within a granite wall. The other deities in the temple are Goddess Gajalakshmi, Lord Narasimha, guardian deities Lord Sumba and Lord Nigumba.
It is stated that during the four yugas (in accordance with the Hindu Philosophy), various divine legends have performed severe penance at this place to attain the vision of Lord Vishnu. And it is believed that Soundararaja Perumal has appeared to Dhruva (a prince in Tretha Yuga), Sage Markendeya (during Kritha Yuga), King Saleesa Chola (during Kali Yuga) and also to Goddess Bhooma Devi.
Temple Timings – Soundararaja Perumal Temple
The temple remains open from 7:30 AM to 12:00 PM and from 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM.
Pooja Timings – Soundararaja Perumal Temple
|Usha kalam||7:00 AM|
|Irandan Kalam||7:00 PM|
Soundararaja Perumal Temple Festivals
The festivals observed in the temple are:
- Chittirai Utsavam – during the Tamil month of Chitirai (April to May)
- Nammazhwar Utsavam – during the Tamil month of Aani (June to July)
- Navaratri – during the Tamil month of Purattasi (September to October)
- Vaikunta Ekadasi – during the Tamil month of Margazhi (December to January)
- Vijayadasami – during the Tamil month of Purattasi (September to October)
- Uthirayanapunyakalam – during the Tamil month of Thai (January to February)
- Panguni Peruvizha – during the Tamil month of Panguni (March to April)
How to reach Soundararaja Perumal Temple
The temple is located about 3 kilometres south of Nagapattinam new bus stand. Nagapattinam is well connected to all major cities that include Chennai, Madurai, Tiruchirapalli and Thanjavur. Nagapattinam Railway station is located very close to the temple. Trichy Airport is the nearest terminal (around 145 kilometres away).