The district is bounded by Tiruchirappalli District on the north, Pudukottai District on the northeast, Ramanathapuram District on southeast, Virudhunagar District on the southwest and Madurai District on the west.
Agriculture is the major occupation of the district with paddy as the principal crop grown.
Major Tourist Attractions in Sivaganga District
- Chettinadu Palace, 10 kilometres from Karaikudi
- Aayiram Jannal Veedu, Karaikudi
- Kaviarasu Kannadasan Manimandapam, near Karaikudi
- Vettangudi Bird Sanctuary, Thirupathur Taluk
- Pillayarpatti Temple, 12KM from Karaikudi
- Piranmalai Seik Oliyullah Dargah, 40KM from Karaikudi town
- Idaikattur Church, Idaikattur Village
- Kundrakudi Temple, 10 kilometres from Karaikudi
- Thirukkoshtiyur Temple, 10 kilometres from Tiruppathur
- Venkatamudayan Perumal Temple (Then Tirupathi), Ariyakudi
- Kalaiyarkovil Temple, 15 kilometres from Sivagangai
- Dakshinamurthy Gurusthalam, Pattamangalam
- Swarna Moortheeswarar Temple, Kandadevi – 3KM from Devakottai Town
- Vettudaiyar Kaliaamman Temple, Kollangudi – 13KM east of Sivagangai
- Kannudaya Nayaki Amman Temple, Nattarasan Kottai – 9KM from Sivagangai
- Bathirakaliamman Temple, Madapuram
- Muthumariamman Temple, Thayamangalam, 25KM from Sivagangai
How to reach Sivagangai
Road – National Highways NH 85, NH 36, NH 87 and State Highways SH 34 are major raods passing through Sivagangai
Rail – Shivagangai District has its own railway station at Shivagangai, Karaikudi and Manamadura and many trains from major cities pass through towns of Sivagangai.
Air – The nearest airport to Sivagangai District are Madurai Airport (43 kilometres away).