Pichavaram Mangrove Forest
Pichavaram village is located in Cuddalore District in Tamil Nadu, between the Vellar estuary in the north and Coleroon estuary in the south. Pichavaram embodies a vast number of islands (almost 40) scattered around a massive stretch of water covered with mangrove forest. Pichavaram Mangrove Forest is the second largest mangrove forest in the world spread across a massive 1100 hectares of area. Explore the pristine aura of nature at Pichavaram amidst forests, wildlife and backwaters.
Unique attributes of Pichavaram Mangrove Forest
- An adventure assured place, Pichavaram is a must visit spot for nature lovers and adventure seekers.
- The mangroves at Pichavaram have a unique ability to endure salt water owing to its aerial roots, thereby making the coastal forest luscious and a haven for birds.
- The forest has mangrove trees like Avicennia and Rhizophara that remain rooted in water.
- Tourists can engage themselves with boating, fishing, and a lot of other recreational activities.
- Pichavaram Forest is rich in avifauna, one can spot an array of birds. Some of the rare varieties of birds include pelicans, spoonbills, snipes and storks.
- Pichavaram with its distinct environmental condition, supports the existence of many rare species of shell and finfishes.
- The backwater rides in the mangrove forest offers a mesmerizing experience.
- A biosphere in itself, Pichavaram Mangrove Forest is one of the unique Eco-tourism spots in South India.
- Revel in the serenity of the woods while you travel into the mangrove-alley, a narrow path going into the forest. You are sure to enjoy the tranquility of the place.
Best time to visit Pichavaram Mangrove Forest
Pichavaram is a year-round destination, although it’s not preferable to visit during summer. The ideal time would be to visit during the months of September to February.
Pichavaram boating price
The boating charges is around Rs. 185 per hour for 2 persons and Rs. 280 per hour for 4 persons. PFB the detailed price list for boating.
Places to visit near Pichavaram
Below is a list the places of interest near Pichavaram:
|Name of the place||Distance (in Kilometres)|
|Parangipet Marine Biology Institute||7 kms|
|Parangipet Light House||7 kms|
|Thillai Kali Temple||13 kms|
|Annamalai University||13 kms|
|Chidambaram Natarajar Temple||14 kms|
|Bhuvanagiri Ragavendra Temple(Birth Place)||14 kms|
|Sirkali Temple||20 kms|
|Vaitheeswaran Koi||34 kms|
|Vaitheeswaran Koil||38 kms|
|Sri Mushnam Temple||45 kms|
|Vadalur Sathya Gnana Sabha (Cuddalore)||50 kms|
|Thiruvanthipuram Temple||60 kms|
|Devanampattinam Silver Beach||63 kms|
|Thiruvakkarai Fossil Park||72 kms|
|Tranquebar Fort||80 kms|
How to reach Pichavaram Mangrove Forest?
Pichavaram is well connected to nearby cities. There are frequent buses from Chidambaram to Pichavaram. The nearest railway station from Pichavaram is at Chidambaram (about 20 kilometres). Pondicherry is the nearest airport (around 75 kilometres), Trichy Airport (168 kilometres).