The city of Kancheepuram forms the district headquarters. Kancheepuram marks an important place in history dating back to several centuries BCE.
Major Tourist Attractions in Kanchipuram District
- Kailasanathar Temple, 3 kilometres away from Kancheepuram bus stand and 2.7 kilometres away from Kancheepuram Railway Station
- Kanchi Mutt, 1 kilometre from city center
- Kamakshi Amman Temple, around 1 kilometre from city center
- Ekambareswarar Temple, 1 kilometre from city center
- Sri Varadaraja Perumal Temple, 3 kilometres from city center
- Vaikunta Perumal Temple, 1 kilometre from city center
- Sri Ashtabuja Perumal Temple, 2 kilometres from Kancheepuram bus stand
- Ulagalandha Perumal Temple, 1 kilometre from city center
- Kachapeshwarar Temple, 1 kilometre from city center
- Jain Temple, 1 kilometre from city center
- Devarajaswami Temple, 3 kilometres from city center
- Prasanna Venkatesa Perumal Temple, 6 kilometres from city center
- Vijayaraghava Perumal Temple, 10 kilometres from city center
- Sakunthala Jaganathan Museum of Folk Art, 1 kilometre from city center
- Crocodile Bank, near Mahabalipuram around 44 kilometres from Chennai
- Srinivasa Peruma Temple, Semmanjeri, 30 kilometres from Chennai on OMR
- Melmaruvathur, 42 kilometres from Kancheepuram
- Aringar Anna Zoological Park, Vandalur, around 60 kilometres from Kancheepuram
- Kovalam, on the way to Mahabalipuram 40 kilometres from Chennai
- Muttukadu Boat House, on the ECR at Muttukadu, Chennai, 85 kilometres from Kancheepuram
- Mahabalipuram, 66 kilometres from Kancheepuram
How to reach Kancheepuram
Road – Kanchipuram is well connected by a good network of roads. Bus services are available to all major cities including Chennai, Bangalore, Pondicherry, Thirupathi and Thiruvannamalai. Kancheepuram is located at a distance of 75 kilometres from Chennai.
Rail – Arakonnam Railway Station (29 kilometres away) and Chennai Railway Station (around 75 kilometres away) are the nearest railheads.
Air – Chennai International Airport (65 kilometres away) is the nearest Airport.