Hogenakkal Falls – The Niagara of India
Hogenakkal Falls is a waterfall on the Cauveri (Kaveri) River located in Dharmapuri district of Tamil Nadu. One of the best waterfalls in India, it is also referred to as the “Niagara of India’. In Kannada, the name of the falls is derived from two words – ‘Hoge” meaning smoke and ‘kal’ meaning rocks implying Hogenakkal as Smoky Rocks. In TamilNadu, it is also called as Marikottayam.
Hogenakkal is also one of the most visited tourist places near Bangalore and Chennai. After curving its way through the state of Karnataka, the River Kaveri enters the border of Tamil Nadu descending from the towering landscape forming the Hogenakkal Waterfalls.
Unique Attributes of Hogenakkal Falls
- The scintillating Hogenakkal falls is a source of drinking water and it is believed that the water here possesses medicinal properties owing to the numerous herbs and medicinal plants found in the proximity of the falls.
- The Coracle boat ride is available for tourists to enjoy the marvelous river sight. The boating charges is around Rs. 200 per head and Rs. 750 per hour for 4 adults.
- Tourists can also opt for a leisure nature walk or perhaps find a serene spot and lie in the glory of the enchanting Hogenakkal Falls.
- Trekking through intricately lying gentle rocks, lush greenery and watching the path unfold before you is a wonderful experience to behold.
- Derive all the health benefits from a refreshing bath in the water of Hogenakkal Falls and also from oil massages from the local masseuse.
- The place is also famous for the fresh fishes you get from Kaveri River. So, do not miss to relish the luscious fish curry meals.
Ideal time to visit Hogenakkal Falls
The best time to visit Hogenakkal Falls is from July to October. It is ideal to visit the place right after the monsoons, when the river is in full flurry.
How to reach Hogenakkal Falls
Dharmapuri is the nearest town and also the nearest Railway Hub at a distance of 47 kilometres from Hogenakkal. Dharmapuri is connected to all major cities by rail. Bangalore International Airport is the nearest airport about 216 kilometres from Hogenakkal.
Any content change in this Article?