Chettinad Palace, Karaikudi
Chettinad Palace is located in Kanadukathan, a small town in Karaikudi Taluk, Sivaganga District. Known for its grandeur and architectural beauty, the majestic edifice is located 10 kilometres away from Karaikudi.
The palace was designed and established in the year 1912 by Dr. Annamalai Chettiyar, the founder of Annamalai University and Indian Bank.
Chettinad is a community that is home for the Nattokottai Chettiars (Nagarathar community), a mercantile community involved in banking and money lending. The Vallambar (Vellalar) community also forms a part of Chettinad. Chettinadu is also well known for its palatial houses with wide courtyards and spacious rooms, temples in traditional style and the popular Chettinad cuisine.
More facts about the Chettinad Palace
- The palace belongs to Sri MAM Ramaswamy and family and one needs prior permission to get inside the palace.
- Chettinad Palace is a finest example of the widely famed mansions of Chettinad region.
- The elegant palace is adorned with impeccably carved figurines and wood carvings.
- The palace has a pleasant ambience and green surroundings.
- The interiors, furnishings and construction materials used for constructing the palace were brought from East Asian countries and Europe. Italian marbles, teak from Burma, colourful handmade Athangudi tiles together add to the picturesque beauty of the palace.
How to reach Chettinad Palace
Karaikudi is the nearest town from the palace which is well connected by road to different parts of the state. Frequent buses ply from Karaikudi to Chettinad. Karaikudi Railway Junction is the nearest rail head. The nearest airports are at Madurai (81 kilometres away) and Tiruchirapalli (87 kilometres away)
The palace is an ideal place for history enthusiasts, photographers and people looking for some quality time with friends and families. A day at this historical mansion with its pleasing surroundings is worth experiencing.
Any content change in this Article?